To contribute to the global efforts for the conservation of threatened waterbirds through developing knowledgebase, undertaking conservation activities, and engaging local youths and young researchers in the conservation process. The specific objectives of the project are to-
- assess the population status and develop a database with provision for long term waterbird monitoring in the coastal area;
- identify the migration route of Indian Skimmers and their breeding areas along with other waterbirds by tagging
- Enhance local awareness for the conservation of water birds, endangered species in particular.
- Build capacity of the young bird researchers of the country on waterbird conservation, and bird ringing, color banding, and satellite tracking of Indian Skimmers and other waterbirds,
- Identify new hotspot areas of waterbirds for recommending to the appropriate authority for Ramsar site declaration.