According to the decision of CoP, each country has to submit its First Biennial Update Report (BUR1) to the CoP of the UNFCCC. The project will be prepared in line with Global Environment Facility (GEF-6) strategic focal area on climate change mitigation objective CCM3: fostering enabling conditions to mainstream mitigation concerns into sustainable development strategies. Program 5 of this objective aims to mainstream the climate considerations into the national planning process and to help countries mainstream mitigation action in support of the 2030 Agenda for achieving SDGs.
Scope of Work:
The goal of this project is to fulfil the decisions of COP 16 & 17, which requires developing countries to submit biennial update reports (BURs) containing updates of the following five (5) components of the project. For this component detailed description of the scope of work for this project is presented below:
Component 1: Preparation of National Circumstances
The BUR1 will include National Circumstances, based on current realities. It will carry out a review of the updated statistical information (as available) on water resources, land use and forests including population, agriculture and livestock, climate, economy and other environmental characteristics. The information on the institutional arrangements and the mechanisms for stakeholders’ involvement relevant to the preparation of the national communications and the biennial update reports will be described, including distribution of responsibilities within government departments, universities, research institutions, etc.
Special attention will be given to the collection and analysis of gender data in relation to climate change. Gender disaggregated data will be collected and reported across all stocktaking areas where possible. The research was done to date on gender issues in relation to resource use, natural resource management and women’s and men’s roles in each area of the economy will also be highlighted. To ensure that the gender dimension in the project is fully brought out, the team taking stock of national circumstances will include at least one individual with expertise in gender analysis and gender statistics.
Scope of Services: NACOM will undertake the following activities:
- Prepare summary country basic data and information on water resources, land use and forests including population, agriculture and livestock, climate, economy, national development activities, governance and other environmental characteristics.
- Review and update data used in the National Circumstances Chapter of TNC using latest data from Bangladesh Bureau of Statics (BBS) Planning Commission (PC), Ministry of Agriculture, Ministry of Water Resources, Ministry of Industries, Ministry of Environment, Forests and Climate Change, and other relevant ministries and departments.
- Review the existing institutional arrangements under the BUR1.
- Organize and conduct targeted capacity building training for the working group’s Update and prepare the national circumstances chapter of BUR1.
Expected results and deliveries (Outputs)
- Country basic data, information on water resources, land use and forests including population, agriculture and livestock, climate, economy, governance and other environmental characteristics updated.
- Information on national development objectives, priorities and circumstances, and the specific needs and concerns arising from the adverse effects of climate change provided.
- The description of institutional arrangements relevant to the preparation of the national communications and biennial update reports on a continuous basis prepared.
- A chapter on National circumstances prepared.