The project was undertaken as a part of the determination and assessment of the Asian Elephant population in Bangladesh and to work in all the relevant areas including Teknaf, Bandarban, Rangamati, Khagrachari, Chunati, Himchari, Sherpur. The main activities were:
- Determination of the present population size, trends, and ranges of the Asian Elephants in Bangladesh.
- Local capacity and awareness enhancement for community participation in future conservation and management activities.
- Identification and prioritization of threats faced by the elephants in Bangladesh.
- Assessment of habitat condition of the Asian Elephants in a selected site.
- Assessment of economic loss caused by the elephants and analysis of human-elephant conflict in a selected site.
- Recommend a nationally representative management guideline.